LeithLate17: Thursday 15 June
The LeithLate17 festival kicks off with a massive opening night event, which sees art installations, live music and performances taking place across 26 different venues the whole length of Leith Walk, all of which are free to attend. There’s no set route or way to navigate venues, just get in amongst it and see what you discover! The night culminates in the now-legendary LeithLate Afterparty, this year curated by Lost Map Records at Henderson Halls near the foot of the Walk. The stonking afterparty line-up includes Savage Mansion and Kid Canaveral, plus Lost Map and LeithLate dj’s playing party music till close. Tickets only a tenner & include drink tokens, book your tickets via the link above.
The full list of participating LeithLate17 venues is as follows:
1) Edinburgh Printmakers – My Cat Knows What I’m Thinking by Dr Eric Great-Rex plus hourly tours of the printmakers throughout the night.
2) Joseph Pearces – live music by Anders Panders live looping.
3) Windsor Buffet – live music from 4-piece band Smokin’ Jeffreys’ from 7.30pm.
4) Settlement Projects charity shop – sound artist Yann Seznec unique sound installation comprised of shop donations plus solo electronics set.
5) Old Ambulance Depot – Ltd Ink Corporation opening its doors for the first time with Kevin Harman exhibiting his online emotional galaxy installation co-be.co.
6) Autonomous Centre of Edinburgh – exhibition of archive photography about the battle of Broughton Street Unemployed Centre plus Euan Sutherland artworks series Small Revolutions.
7) Leith Walk Police Box – PICS OR IT DIDN’T HAPPEN place+platform / Poor Art* exhibition with invited artists that seeks to explore imagery at the fringes of conventional, mainstream representation; rejected or ‘found’ photography, copies and repetitions, missed moments and documentation.
8) Brass Monkey Leith – dancefloor friendly special edition of regular monthly dj night Electric Mud. Regulars Lee and Russ will be joined by bETAMAX stalwart Chris Fast and playing the finest in funk, RnB, Soul, Punk, New Wave, Garage, psych and beyond.
9) Santoga Yoga Centre – Wordpolishers present REFRACTION, an English-Polish literary translation event with Polish translations of poems by Rachel McCrum, Jenny Lindsay, JL Williams, Magi Gibson, Kapka Kassabova, Georgi Gill, Michel Faber and Richie McCaffery, plus English-translated Polish poems.
10) Tourmalet – website launch and makeshift awards ceremony for ‘Introduction-to-Performan
11) Elvis Shakespeare – live music in-store gigs: 6.30pm Stephen McLaren with virtuosic piano, haunting vocals, and atmospheric beats, 7.30pm Dead Broke & Dirty play the ‘Devils music’ for all you rock and roll junkies out there, 8.30pm Geek Maggot Bingo high-energy, three-piece garage rock ‘n’ roll band.
12) Laundrette – Edinburgh-based company Creative Electric present ‘Is this the real life? Is this just broccoli?’ where audiences can marry their loved ones, or inanimate objects, in a completely non-binding ceremony.
13) Rhubaba – You hardboiled I softboiled by Melbourne-based writer Jessica Yu plus live music performances by Nice Church and others from 7.30pm.
14) The Creative Showroom – open studios plus exhibition by local photographer Dave Cullen and live music.
15) Out of the Blue Drill Hall – Closing night party for Exposed17 photography exhibition by Edinburgh College graduates, plus risoprint exhibition and LeithLate zine with Young Saheliya, Edinburgh Art Festival and Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre.
16) Victoria – live music from Rumba Radges, an international band formed by musicians from Germany, Scotland and Spain.
17) Woodland Creatures – Out of the Bedroom open mic event featuring Edinburgh-based award winning singer songwriter Lisa Rigby.
18) Boda – Birds, Beasts and Bones print exhibition by Rona Innes.
19) The Mousetrap – electronic dj Neil Templar with Templar Nights.
20) OOTB Leith Walk Studios – open studios featuring artists Johnathan Elders, Sarah Muirhead, Rona Innes, Stevie Powers and Conrad Molleson.
21) Travelling Gallery (parked up outside OOTB Leith Walk Studios) – EAT SLEEP WORK REPEAT exhibition featuring artists KP Brehmer, Tessa Lynch, Jamie Green and Amalia Pica.
22) Leith Depot – NAF cartoonist Andy McKay showcase of Leith Depot commissioned cartoon plus Saxophonist Jimmy Francey playing a solo set from 8pm.
23) The Edinburgh Remakery – drop-in IT and textiles repair and upcycling evening event.
24) Punjabi Junction – SUNSET STRIP CARROT DANGLE exhibition curated by Holly Knox Yeoman that includes work by Stephanie Mann with opening performance by David Sherry, addressing the theme of precarity and the changing identity of Leith. Audiences are encouraged to participate by donating food and other items destined for Edinburgh North East Food Bank post-LeithLate.
25) The Kirkgate – live community stage in association with Leith Festival, plus mobile Place Standard wheel by Here + Now.
26) Trinity House Vaults – recipient of the inaugural ‘LeithLate Award’ at RSA New Contemporaries Clara Hastrup video installation in the hidden vaults under maritime museum Trinity House.
All this, immediately proceeded by the now-legendary LeithLate Afterparty with Lost Map! Kicking off at 9pm, the afterparty is the ultimate way to round off your LeithLate17 opening night experience, with bands and dj’s playing till late. Remember to buy your afterparty tickets in advance to avoid disappointment!