LeithLate17: Sunday 18 June
It’s Father’s Day! It’s the final day of the festival! Bring your dad (or your mum, or loved ones in general) to our bustling last day of events all focusing on Leith’s heritage. Come check out historically significant buildings Leith Theatre, Custom House and Trinity House, participate in one of our tours that are taking place across Leith, and of course, come party with us one last time at Custom Lane!
Celebrate Leith’s heritage at the Leith Heritage Open Day with Custom House, Custom Lane, Leith Theatre’s Main Auditorium and Trinity House all opening their doors to LeithLate17 goers between 12-6pm on the final day of the festival. Explore the maritime artifacts at Trinity House in the Kirkgate, investigate artist studios in Custom House, and view the gradeur of the main auditorium of Leith Theatre with remnents from In The Ink Dark by Luke Pell (see LeithLate17: Friday).
The Sunday of LeithLate17 also sees the return of our annual sell-out mural tours, beginning at the Kirsty Whiten WRONGER RITES mural outside the Out of the Blue Drill Hall, and finishing up outside the iconic Leith History Mural beside Leith Theatre and Library. As always, the tours will not only be led by an informative guide, but by the artists themselves, who will give audiences special insight into the content and installation of the artworks. Tours take place at 12pm and 3pm, free but ticketed.
The Public Poetry Trail takes place in conjunction with Edinburgh City of Literature, taking Edinburgh Makar Christine de Luca’s recent poem ‘Leith Swing’ as inspiration. Audiences will be guided by de Luca’s words in the poem in a trail that leads from Custom House at the Shore through Leith to the Kirkgate through the form of pavement stencils, with Christine de Luca reciting her poem live in person. Tours take place at 2pm and 4pm, free but ticketed.
To close the day, Custom Lane hosts our closing party in collaboration with Paradigm Electronic Arts, Forest & We Throw Switches, transforming the lane behind Custom House into an all day summer party. Expect DJ sets by Main Ingredient and Paradigm’s Resident DJ Behaviour bringing vibes of pure joy and a unique mix of indie games with fun interactive experiences. Plus Studio 19 at Custom House invites you to discover Leith’s musical talents with their live intimate sessions, with Computer: Piano (2pm), Sink (3pm), Lizabett Russo (4pm), Sanna (6pm) and Ed Dowie (8pm).
Continuing LeithLate17 exhibitions include (12-6pm):
– Settlement Projects – sound artist Yann Seznec unique sound installation comprised of shop donations.
– Old Ambulance Depot – Ltd Ink Corporation with Kevin Harman exhibiting his online emotional galaxy installation co-be.co.
– Leith Walk Police Box – PICS OR IT DIDN’T HAPPEN place+platform / Poor Art* exhibition with invited artists that seeks to explore imagery at the fringes of conventional,
mainstream representation; rejected or ‘found’ photography, copies and repetitions, missed moments and documentation.
– Rhubaba – You hardboiled I softboiled by Melbourne-based writer Jessica Yu.
– Travelling Gallery (parked up outside OOTB Leith Walk Studios) – EAT SLEEP WORK REPEAT exhibition featuring KP Brehmer, Tessa Lynch, Jamie Green and Amalia Pica.
– Punjabi Junction – SUNSET STRIP CARROT DANGLE exhibition curated by Holly Knox Yeoman that includes Stephanie Mann and opening performance by David Sherry, addressing the theme of precarity and the changing identity of Leith. Audiences are encouraged to participate by donating food and other items destined for Edinburgh North East Food Bank post-LeithLate. *ARTIST AND CURATOR CONVERSATIONS FROM 2PM*
– Trinity House Vaults – recipient of the inaugural ‘LeithLate Award’ at RSA New Contemporaries Clara Hastrup video installation in the hidden vaults under maritime museum Trinity House.