LeithLate17: Saturday 17 June
Gear yourself up for the LeithLate weekend with a host of live music up and down the walk, including The Critter Session with Hailey Beavis and friends, live instores at Elvis Shakespeare, all-dayer at The Mousetrap, and not forgetting LeithLate’s very own Club Tropicana at the Leith Franklin Cricket Club till 3am with FiniTribe dj’s and more! Big night oot and that…
The Critter Session is a regular open mic night in Leith run by musician and raconteur Hailey Beavis. For LeithLate17, Hailey will be uprooting the critters from regular pad Woodland Creatures, and bringing them to the Minecraft picnic surroundings (see LeithLate17: Friday) of the Out of the Blue Drill Hall for a very special edition! Featured musicians will include Lake Montgomery, Bungalow, Roberta Banana, Hailey Beavis, UrbanFarmHand and Mima Fuse. The Critter Sesh kicks off at 1pm, suggested donation £3 entry on door.
LeithLate favourite Elvis Shakespeare will also be running instore gigs throughout the day, line-up as follows: 2.30pm Toby Mottershead: Frontman of Black Diamond Express, 3.30pm: No Things, Leith’s very own Garage-Punks, 4.30pm Blueflint: acousitic bluegrass sounds with the wonderfully matched voices of Clare Neilson and Deborah Arnott 5.30pm Thee Girl Fridays: a mixture of garage-punk and googly-goodness-good-time-
The Mousetrap will be running an all-day version of their popular queer Grrrl Crush nights in celebration of LeithLate17 and Pride. Grrrl Crush are parties run by girls for girls who like girls, championing women on the music scene. The event is straight friendly and trans inclusive. Support your local girl gang.
Last but certainly not least, come join LeithLate at its very first club night CLUB TROPICANA at the Leith Franklin Cricket Club from 9pm. Entry is threeee pounds – fun and sunshine, there’s enough for everyone. Hawaiian lai’s and outdoor swimming pool included, Hawaiian shirts and holiday wear strongly encouraged. Party like a Wham Bar till 3am with FiniTribe dj’s and more tba! Tickets available above via the Get Tickets link.
Continuing LeithLate17 exhibitions include (12-6pm):
– Settlement Projects – sound artist Yann Seznec unique sound installation comprised of shop donations.
– Old Ambulance Depot – Ltd Ink Corporation with Kevin Harman exhibiting his online emotional galaxy installation co-be.co.
– Leith Walk Police Box – PICS OR IT DIDN’T HAPPEN place+platform / Poor Art* exhibition with invited artists that seeks to explore imagery at the fringes of conventional,
mainstream representation; rejected or ‘found’ photography, copies and repetitions, missed moments and documentation.
– Rhubaba – You hardboiled I softboiled by Melbourne-based writer Jessica Yu.
– Travelling Gallery (parked up outside OOTB Leith Walk Studios) – EAT SLEEP WORK REPEAT exhibition featuring KP Brehmer, Tessa Lynch, Jamie Green and Amalia Pica.
– Punjabi Junction – SUNSET STRIP CARROT DANGLE exhibition curated by Holly Knox Yeoman that includes Stephanie Mann and opening performance by David Sherry, addressing the theme of precarity and the changing identity of Leith. Audiences are encouraged to participate by donating food and other items destined for Edinburgh North East Food Bank post-LeithLate.
– Trinity House Vaults – recipient of the inaugural ‘LeithLate Award’ at RSA New Contemporaries Clara Hastrup video installation in the hidden vaults under maritime museum Trinity House.